Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Book tease: Opportunity, Montana - Big Copper, Bad Water, and the Burial of an American Landscape

I am halfway through this great book about the Clark Fork's obliteration due to 100 years of industrial scale mining. Today, I came a cross a great quote that I wanted to share. There are many analogies which seek to make this same point however, this one is my favorite:


"I tend not to trust extremist and ideologues.  It's not about preferring the middle of the road, it's that 'road' is too rigid a metaphor.  On a river, you can't afford to hug strictly the right or left bank and still hope to arrive downstream. You have to follow the current where it leads, left, right, or center.  Sometimes you have to get out and walk."



Eroded banks comprised of toxic mine waste below Warm Springs, MT

















Mine waste stream bank








No comments:

Post a Comment