Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Lightning Bug

Green Lightning Bug


Hook: 22-16 (18 1XL with bead is best) nymph hook
Thread: 8/0 green
Tail: Pheasant tail fibers
Body: Pearl tinsel
Thorax: Peacock or golden brown Ice Dub
Wing case:  Pearl tinsel
Bead: Anything but gold however, gold will work (silver is shown)

This is a great mayfly attractor fly for both tailwaters and freestones.  They are really easy to tie and make great droppers in dry/dropper setups.

On a side note, one thing that I love (and there's not many) about the Northeast and Midwest is the actual lightning bugs which put on mind blowing displays in the meadows and fields on those muggy summer nights. I had never seen a lightning bug in Montana until last summer.  Of all places, it was at Warm Springs downstream of the settling ponds.  At first, I though I was catching a reflection of a shiny fly someone had lost in the willows.  Then more appeared.  By full darkness, they were everywhere.  I still don't know what to think of this event.

Also, until I get in trouble, I'll match a song to the album cover I use for a backdrop.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment