Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The people we meet on fishing trips

























I don't go fishing to be social.  Unless I'm fishing with friends,  I go as far out of the way as possible to avoid running into other people on the water.  It's great because even in 2014, with a little knowledge, you can still ditch the crowds in Montana fairly easily.

However, going to the Missouri during runoff is a social event no matter what. You can have the Mo almost to yourself during other times of the year but during runoff, it's like Disneyland in January, Lake Havasu during spring break, or the bars in Missoula on a Saturday night.  It is a total circus but unlike the crowds you might run into at my given examples, for the most part, the folks you meet fishing the Missouri during runoff are some of the nicest, helpful, and accepting people you will meet.

Case in point 1:
I was hopping from access site to access site.  I was wade/shore fishing due to the wind and was having a great time catching mostly browns on nymphs and streamers.  When the hits would stop, I'd move on.  This went on until after one run, when I climbed back in the truck and turned the key; dead.  Shit.  I left the lights on.  I was at a tiny private access and no one was driving by.  I have AAA and was considering how long I would have to wait and bumming because I'd wouldn't be able to give a tip to the driver and still have enough gas money to get home.  I figured I might as well open the hood and get the jumper cables out, just in case someone stopped - at least I'd be ready.

No sooner than I had gotten the cables and walked to the road side of the car, the first truck that drove by did a U-turn and came back to where I was parked.  Two guys got out of the big truck in full camo, gave me a big stiff handshake and we hooked up the cables like a NASCAR pit crew.  We talked about the fishing while my battery charged.  They were spin fishers and had brought the whole family.  They said the fishing had been slow so they "left the wives and took the kids into Craig to show them all the fly shops."  They ran into me on their way back to camp.  Minutes later, my truck was running and I was back on my way.

Later that day, I was fishing on the north side below the dam.  I noticed the two guys' camo jackets and saw them across the river on the rocks fishing with the kids.  They were all excited because the wife had caught a dink.  Then, one of the guys sets into a big rainbow and they all lost it.  The kids were all freaking and so excited.  I was so happy for them.  After some time, I fished my way out of sight as I moved up towards the dam.  About 20 minutes later, they all freaked out again, this time like they had won the Super Bowl.  I could hear it all over the roar of the dam.

Case in point 2: 
I use a bike to shuttle my truck and trailer whenever I can.  I love the pre-float bike rides through the country and all the money it saves.  I have what I call "bike shuttle" floats for all my favorite streams which maximize river mile and minimize bike mile.  The Missouri is perfect for bike shuttles because there are so many accesses.

I had dumped my boat in Craig and driven my trailer down to Spite Hill.  I packed all my stuff that's worth any money into my backpack and strapped my rods to it.  I wear my waders as well as a helmet.  I probably look like a futuristic flyfishing warrior on a bike.  Whatever I look like, I sure get some stares when I ride around Missoula like this.  Anyway, I was just about to hop on the bike when 3 college kids dropped off their shuttle car and gave me the WTF stare.  I laughed in my head, assuming they were at least gently ribbing me inside their truck.  Then, they rolled down the window and said, "Want a ride?"

I left the bike and climbed in.  These guys were mostly from Bozeman but were attending or planning to attend the University of Montana in Missoula.  One guy was a Grizzly Football player and the other was going to be. I don't remember if the 3rd guy was too.  Anyway, they were the nicest guys and although I didn't realize it at first, they actually did more than just give me a ride.  The wind is the great equalizer on the Mo.  When it blows, it's game over.  That day it got really windy.  I had an hour or two of awesome fishing beforehand that I wouldn't have had if those guys didn't give me a ride.

       

  

No comments:

Post a Comment