Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Saltwater flyfishing is WAY more fun and difficult than I had ever expected!


I recently took a trip to Western Florida to attend a week long party family reunion.  I got the chance to go on a guided flats boat trip with Sea and Stream Outfitters in Boca Grande. 

























Fly Fishing Guide Austin Lowder took us deep into the mangrove flats around Boca Grande.  This was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.  We were in what seemed like a mangrove jungle.  There was such an amazing variety of birds, fish, and creatures that I was totally overwhelmed.  Not to mention, Austin was poling us through water from 8" to waist deep that was loaded with large, super skittish redfish and snook.

I bet a flats guide's worst nightmare is an avid trout fisherperson.  A trout fisherperson may think that because they can catch a bunch of trout all the time that they'll be able to go to the flats and rock it.  NOPE. That was the hardest fly fishing I have ever attempted.  It was also some of the most exciting.

Austin's Hells Bay Flats Boat at the marina in Boca Grande
















Favorite coffee thermos from Headhunters
































I would certainly recommend Austin Lowder for your Florida fly fishing adventure.  Unlike many other "charters" in Western Florida, Austin only guides fly fishing and he prefers to sight fish for tarpon, redfish, and snook.  Austin Lowder also guides out of the Livingston, MT area for trout in the summertime (Austin in MT).  I learned a lot about the fish, threats to the local environment, and got a great casting lesson.  I was so busy scaring away all the fish and being overwhelmed by the natural beauty that I didn't take many pics.

Here are some pics of the Gulf of Mexico's fabulous wildlife that I took when I wasn't on the guided trip:


Gopher Tortoise

I saw many friends from MT like this heron

Brown Pelican

Heron in the mangroves

Those big sticks were mangroves that were damaged in a hurricane

Stump Pass, FL













No comments:

Post a Comment