Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rock Creek, MT is Sacred

I could sit here and write a 5 volume novel on what makes Rock Creek (tributary to the Clark Fork) such a wonderful place.  Honestly, I don't have the literary skills to do it justice.  I'm talking about everything too, not just the fishing.  I'm in love with the geology, the plant communities, the wildlife, and the local community.  I could go on and on but it is easier to just state the only thing that I don't love.  Sometimes, especially on weekends in the summer, I have to avoid the creek because everyone else loves it too.  That's ok, I can share.

I wanted to do a full spring photo essay but the lighting sucked.  While it ruined my chances at some vibrant pics, it made the fishing great!

It's at this point that my troubles disappear 

Pre-spawn female rainbow eats a SH sow bug
Lower Rock Creek Early Spring


Rock Creek last Fall





























































































Here's some tips to make the Creek more fun for everyone.

  • Pinch your barbs!!  This is an extremely important reproduction area for trout/char, whitefish, suckers, etc.
  • Follow the old Montana "stay out of sight" rule.  It works because there is plenty of room for everyone here.  This is not NY or WA.  If you see another fisherperson don't jump in and start fishing, keep going.  Lot's of out-of-staters are unaware of this part of MT fishing culture.  It's best not to get mad at them but to tell them about our culture.     


No comments:

Post a Comment